Thursday, January 3, 2008

The reason I read superhero comics

So, I just finished reading Mark Millar's and Bryan Hitch's Ultimates 2 hardcover last night. I couldn't put it down and read it until 2:30 in the morning.

I go through these phases where I start to tire of the same-old, back-to-status-quo superhero comics that flood the shelves these days. I mean, let's be honest with ourselves, most of them are just unnecessary reads. We only read them 'cause we like the creators or the characters. Do we really need 12 Batman titles and 5 solo Wolverine books? Of course not.

But every once in a while something comes along that gets me back into superhero comics hardcore, and this is it. I fell in love with the first volume of Ultimates back when I was reading it monthly, but I managed to avoid any spoilers for the last 4 or 5 issues of this series, since those are the only ones I haven't read. What a goddamn pleasant surprise. I can't even explain to you how geeked out I was with all the cool shit they did with Thor. It's 2:00 in the morning and I'm sitting on my bed with a big-ass grin on my face reading the Avengers re-imagined. I don't need you to tell me how much of a dork I am, but I defy you to not do the same when one of these hefty hardcovers are put in your hands.

God damn! I'm still thinking about this book and if it weren't for the fucking tower of trades and graphic novels I have piled on my floor to be read, I'd read this thing again right now. It's just. So. Cool.

No comments: